MOT Testing in Tonbridge at Hadlow Stair Garage
Your car and the MOT
These components are inspected:
- Body / vehicle structure / general items: free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas. No sharp edges likely to cause injury.
- Towbars for security / condition / inappropriate repairs or modification: correct operation of 13 pin electrical socket. Speedometer condition and operation. Engine mountings.
- Fuel system: no leaks. Security and condition of pipes / hoses. Fuel cap fastens and seals securely. Note: the fuel cap will need to be opened. Make sure the key is available.
- Exhaust emissions: vehicle meets the requirements for exhaust emissions, dependent on the age and fuel type of the vehicle.
- Exhaust system: secure. Complete. Catalyst missing where one was fitted as standard. Without serious leaks and is not too noisy.
- Seat belts: all the seat belts fitted are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All mandatory seat belts must be in place.
- Check of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) for air bags and seat belt pre tensioners and load limiters.
- Seats: Drivers seat for adjustment. All seats for security and seat backs can be secured in the upright position.
- Doors: Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors should open from outside the vehicle. Hinges and catches for security and condition.
- Mirrors: minimum number required, condition and security. Indirect vision devices.
- Load security: boot or tailgate can be secured in the closed position.
- Brakes: condition including inappropriate repairs or modifications, operation and performance (efficiency test). Note the removal of the road wheels and trims are not part of the test. Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) where fitted. Check of the dashboard Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) for ABS, ESC, electronic park brake and brake fluid warning.
- Tyres and wheels: condition, security, tyre size/type and tread depth. Spare wheels and tyres are not inspected. Note: vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 – check of the MIL for Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
- Registration plates: condition, security, colour, characters correctly formed and spaced.
- Lights: condition, operation including High Intensity Discharge (HID) and Light Emitting Diode (LED) headlamps for cleaning, self leveling and security. Headlamp aim. Main beam warning light.
- Bonnet: securely latches in the closed position.
- Wipers/washers: operate to give the driver a clear view ahead.
- Windscreen: condition and driver’s view of the road.
- Horn: correct operation and of suitable type.
- Steering and suspension: condition, steering oil level, operation, a check for inappropriate repairs or modification including corrosion to power steering pipes or hoses. Operation of steering lock mechanism. Check of the MIL for electronic power steering and steering lock.
- Vehicle identification number: present on vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1980. A single VIN is displayed except on multistage build vehicles. (eg van conversion, BMW/Alpina etc)
- Electrical: visible electrical wiring and battery.